Thursday, October 31, 2013

Coco-scare

Hi lovelies,
I've had quite a shocking day today. I'm writing this last minute instead of my queued posts. I was playing with Cocopuff yesterday and didn't notice anything odd about him. Today my girlfriend came over because she hadn't seen him in quite sometime and afterwards we would go have lunch with my grandparents. When she took Cocopuff out of his cage we still didn't notice anything. He was eating normally, walking and climbing like he always does. He sleeps a lot but when he is awake he is a very active little guy. So she took him out and laid him on his back to check on his bald spot ( he got it from constantly climbing into his food bowl by pulling himself into it) and then she noticed it. 

He had a really red and swollen spot from more than a centimeter onto his butt with a little wound. I panicked and was ready to call a veterinarian right then and there. But because he was still so active I decided to wait and let my father have a look at it. He is a docter. Okay for people but maybe he would recognise what it was and be able to do something about it for free instead of an expensive appointment with the veterinarian. When I came with my hamster he first laughed at me because he thinks its stupid that I'm so worried about my hamster and so attached to him. To my father it's just a rat and if it dies you buy a new one. Not to me no, when he dies it will be of old age and not because I didn't care enough to help him if it's something else. And boy it was something else. 

When my father saw it even he was kinda shocked. Cocopuff had an ulcer full of pus. Anais had to hold my little munckin while my dad disinfected the wound, removed the scab and then it came, pus. You wouldn't believe how much puss came out of it. My munchie was clearly in pain, had bitten Anais already a couple times when my mother came with the idea to give him something to bite on. It was quite an horrible experience for him, the poor thing (also for me, I was in shock). He still has a wound now but I'm checking it regularly so that it won't infect again. 

He has been recovering from his mini-operation and he is doing fine. I choose the toughest hamster in the store apparently. He has been walking around, eating, chewing on his drink bottle as he always does. Seeing all of that makes me think and really really hope he will make it. He seems to be doing fine now. I hope we saved him a lot of future pain because it looked awful and must have been painful. I'll keep you up to date. 
Yesterday he was still doing this
and this,, isn't he cute
Let's all cross fingers and goodbyeeee

- Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment